This is a most enjoyable walk, which first takes you along the Trent and Mersey Canal, busy with boats at the weekends and during the summer, before visiting the pretty village of Findern. The final stretch of the walk returns to the canal bank for a short stroll back to Willington Marina.
There are two areas of woodland along the canal bank, where paths have been laid to enable visitors to walk round and enjoy the wildlife.
The Findern Village Green forms the centrepiece of the village, on which an impressive looking village sign was erected to commemorate the Millennium, and more recently a village map has been added.
Length: 4.25 miles.
Start in the Willington Car Park (Free Car Parking), which is adjacent to The Dragon
A level walk, with more than half taken up along the banks of the Trent and Mersey Canal. After leaving the canal you walk along quiet paths and a lane to Findern, returning to the canal along good footpaths.
- Turn left out of the car park along the bank of the Trent and Mersey Canal, and continue for about two miles, passing under the road bridge leading to Findern.
- After going under a railway bridge, with an open field and a path on the opposite side, cross Canal Bridge Number 20 (the number is to be found on the eastern side of the bridge). Bridge closed following an accident.
- Turn left immediately you are over the bridge, and walk back in the same direction along a clear path by the side of the canal.
- After a short distance turn right by a wooden seat and walk away from the canal, along a path, past a conservation area.
- Continue straight ahead, passing a Stanhope Wood Information Board, to ascend two short flights of steps, at the top of which you turn left, along a wide access track.
- Soon you go right through a wide tunnel, under the A50 and then after a few yards, turn left at a ‘T’ junction of tracks.
- Follow the track, the quality of the surface improving the nearer you get to Findern. After passing a cemetery on your left, continue ahead aiming to the left of the church.
- Walk up the road in front of the churchyard, to reach Findern Village Green, where you turn left to join the Main Street.
- Immediately after passing The Wheel Public House, turn left down Heath Lane, and continue along the pavement to cross the bridge over the A50.
- Once over the bridge take the footpath on the left, which takes you past a recreation field, before bending further to the right to re-join Heath Lane.
- Walk down the lane past a row of houses to reach the Nadee, Indian Restaurant; the site was previously occupied by the Greyhound Public House.
- Do not cross the road bridge, but keep close to the restaurant and go over the canal bridge. Turn right along the canal bank, which you came along at the beginning of the walk; this will take you back to Willington. When you reach the Car Park, relax and take time to call in The Dragon, for a drink and a hearty meal.